Conservative News & Commentary

Aug 27, 2015 — by: G.W. Washington
Categories: Government, Culture

Donald Trump“The Donald”, as he is often called, is #1 one in all of the summertime Republican primary polls — and all of the Washington insiders are dumbfounded. The 2016 Republican primary contest was to be like 2012, where the establishment GOP put up their candidate, this time Jeb Bush, and the rest of the field, made up of self-proclaimed conservative purists, wrestled each other for the crumbs. This is how 2012 turned out. Then the candidate of choice was Mitt Romney. Romney stood tall and smiled while everyone else tried to show why they were the best anti-Romney candidate. We all know how that turned out. Romney won the Republican primary and then lost the general election to the weakest sitting president since George Herbert Walker Bush (Bush 41).

The establishment has given us some real “winners” over the years: Bob Dole, John McCain and Mitt Romney. While all fine men, none of them were conservative in their core governing values. And without that your elected official can change their position on any issue, at any time because nothing really anchors them. They just float around looking for the popular choices to make and avoid standing out with any of the controversial ones.

So what of Donald Trump? Why is he popular? First people loved his television show. They liked that in a culture, that for decades has been feminized, here stood a masculine hero that was not afraid to tell celebrities they screwed up — “You’re fired”. Right next to celebrity is leadership. The Apprentice always made Donald Trump the leader, the man in charge. People like that. And so with celebrity and the aura of leadership Trump enters the Presidential race leveraging these two assets.

If The Apprentice taught Trump anything it was how to attract attention and then hold it. Trump has been masterful at making headlines and then controlling the conversation. Fox News loves Trump because he brings in big ratings for the network. Never mind “fair and balacned” when it comes to the other 16 candidates, this is all about ratings (it always is). In some sense Fox News is hoping that Trump will fail because it will be a bigger story than him being #1 in the polls. Media loves to build up and tear down. Fox News is no different. Trump is no different.

But Trump has been masterful to keep the narrative focused on Illegal Immigration and the trade problems with China. Rarely do you hear Trump making headlines in his opposition to Obamacare, to big government bureaucracy or to the President’s deal (and side deal) with Iran. Why? Because in essence Trump is a Kennedy Democrat. Trump is not about limiting government or increasing your liberty. He talks a great conservative game but only on a couple of subjects that have populist backing. People love his brash, no bars approach, like they are watching a reality TV show. But eventually reality will settle win and people will see most of his views are not conservative. Most of his following is not strong. And soon a real conservative will emerge as the leader of the Republican party that can raise up Reagan-like principles to save our nation from an over-spending, gluttonous government.

We need a leader whose values and morals drive his policies, not his personality or popularity.

Trump is a great summertime fling, but when people get serious about who they will wed, let’s hope common sense rises above emotion and we Republicans vote for a real conservative.

9 Comments

1. Paul Clark ~ Aug. 27, 2015 @ 12:27 pm

To any "conservative" who reads this. If Trump isn't a conservative, then I am also not a conservative, and that is a question I have been pondering since before Trump arrived on the scene. I am sick of conservatives. Nowadays being a conservative by political standards is not much different than being a liberal. Both parties have fallen off of the left side of the mountain in the past 25 years, and it would be more like 75 years if Reagan hadn't been elected. And by the way, he would not have been elected if the Republican Party Per Se (The Establishment) would have had their way. Reagan was ridiculed in much the same way as Trump, but as in Reagan's campaign, whatever the Republican's throw at Trump, it bounces off. When the Republican Party realizes that the populous doesn't want political correctness in their daily diet of rhetoric, the sooner they will look more like "The Party of the People"; and this ain't happenin' as long as we have morons like Mitch McConnell and John Boehner running the show. Right now it is me and Trump and about 30 million supporters against the rest of the liberal society, and that includes the establishment Republicans who are the lowest form of vermin because of their dishonesty! Anyone who wants to join the bandwagon is welcome to do so. You don't even have to pay to go to his fundraisers; they are free if you can't afford to pay. I am glad to be a part of "The OLD Normal" It appears that the author, G.W. Washington (If that is a real name) is still a mug-waump. Hopefully G.W. will fall off of the fence on the right side by fall. #
  2. G.W. Washington ~ Aug. 27, 2015 @ 1:42 pm

Thanks for the comments Paul. Trump is not a conservative. He says a few conservative things in a very brandish style, but he is not for limited government. That is where the rubber meets the road. Trump is about Trump and getting things done, damn the process. We had someone else like that, oh yeah Obama. Also George, King George was like that too. Both Obama and King George were damn the process, I'm in charge. But it is the PROCESS that matters most, not an outlandish TV persona. On the border, abortion and trade Trump is great. Almost everything else Trump avoids, because he is not a limited government conservative who finds "true north" from the constitution. Trump says "Trust me" a lot. That should scare everyone. As James Madison wrote, “The truth is that all men having power ought to be mistrusted.” Only trust the one who makes the Constitution their touchstone, and then hold their feet to the fire as well, because power corrupts. #
  3. Paul Clark ~ Aug. 27, 2015 @ 3:10 pm

Thanks for the reply G.W. As I said in my first reply, I no longer consider myself a conservative by today's standards. If the conservatives in Washington would find "true north" in the constitution we wouldn't be having this debate! Both parties have either ignored or tried to change the intent of many parts of the constitution, so please don't expect me to believe the conservatives are the true "Bearers of the Holy Grail" The conservatives are spineless, yellow bellied cowards. They run and hide every time someone accuses them of racism, homophobia, antisemitism, anti-Muslim, anti-Mexican, anti-tree hugger, and the list goes on. Trump doesn't run from any of these politically correct monikers, which is why people of grit like him. I will not vote if I don't like the candidate, especially if Trump deserves the nomination and doesn't get it. I know many other people who feel the same way. I am still registered as a Republican, but that is easy to change. Conservatives actually make me sick at my stomach every time I see one of them bloviating about what they are going to do when they control Washington. I am more worried about them than I am the Democrats. We have survived seven years of the worst form of Democrat in history, but I am worried people will trust the lying conservatives and we will be worse off than we are now. Defining yourself as a conservative may now be as bad as being labeled a liberal. At least the Democrats tell you what they are going to do. Conservatives tell you the opposite and do nothing. To me that is a covert form of lying! Just remember how many conservatives DIDN'T vote in 2012 and insert an exponent. #
  4. Terry L. Clemens ~ Aug. 27, 2015 @ 5:32 pm

I'm with Paul!! Also, I think you are just another "good 'ol boy" Republican. Business as usual. If I have to throw away my vote on another "third party," I will do so!! #
  5. Terry L. Clemens ~ Aug. 27, 2015 @ 5:35 pm

Well said Paul!! #
  6. Bob Smith ~ Aug. 27, 2015 @ 6:19 pm

Tell you what there G.W. I can't for the life of me figure out what the heck all the argument is about "conservative' I don't care if Trump is an alien from another world. He will get my vote. Call him whatever you wish , he is the only one of the candidates who is not "bought" by the lobbyists and other special interest pukes who expect something in return. He is the ONLY candidate that has true values that WILL make this country "Great Again". Ted Cruz is the only other acceptable candidate. Look at the polls and you will see that the word "Conservative" doesn't seem to mean much. The Republican party per se stinks. They are a bunch of promise lots and do nothing liars that cannot be trusted. Wake up folks start thinking because one more term of the current folks in Washington and we WILL be a third world country scrounging in the streets for food. #
  7. G.W. Washington ~ Aug. 27, 2015 @ 8:44 pm

Interesting discussion. Let me suggest that just because someone is in their first term as a Senator, it does not make them a Washington insider. There are other candidates in this race whose arguments always stem from the Constitution, not from some raw-raw rally. Trump is not what you think he is. Again he's great on the border. If you want to learn more about the real Donald Trump, read the following... http://tinyurl.com/qz4zp7f Whether you like the person who wrote this is irrelevant, the facts are dead on and should give you pause. Do you want someone who supported the bank bailouts, the Clintons and Obamacare? Then go ahead and support Donald Trump. #
  8. Mel Page ~ Sep. 16, 2015 @ 1:12 am

Trump may not be a true conservative but he's backed by the Tea Party and the "Silent Majority". The deal is, he's not a politician and that's what we need. If he wins the nomination he will get my vote.. #
  9. A.Smith ~ Sep. 16, 2015 @ 9:25 am

Hi Mel - I would modify your statement about who we need to lead America from the brink of disaster. You are correct in that we do not need a political (someone who is bought and sold by DC insiders) and who says one thing to get elected and does little or nothing while in office. But that doesn’t therefore default the vote to Trump. As you said we do not want another politician, but instead what we DO NEED is a Constitutionalist. That is someone who will take the Federal Government back to its 18 enumerated powers and leave the rest to the States and her people (10th Amendment). That is far different than Trump who talks very little about constitutional authority and very much about what he (the new King) will do when in power. You may like what he is saying now, but if he acts like Obama, as King, the constitution is just a memory and so goes our liberty. God save us. #

Leave your reply (* = required field)

* :
* :
* Comment:

“When people are universally ignorant, and debauched in their manners, they will sink under their own weight without the aid of foreign invaders.”

— Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, 1775